Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving

As you can tell, it's been a really long time since I've posted. I've found that it's much harder to post here because life feels pretty normal - Sophie and I both work in an office, we're both enjoying our jobs, we both ride a bike to work - it's just that when we go on a trip, the places we go are in Israel (or other countries that are closer-to-us-than-they've-ever-been). I have thoroughly enjoyed working in Israel and I wish I could put my thoughts about this place into eloquent words, but, alas, it's much easier to talk about it over a glass of wine, so - uh - just come visit.

So, let's talk about Thanksgiving. I love Thanksgiving. I loved it when we were in the US and I think I love it even more being abroad. There's just something special about sharing a night of good food with good company, especially when the company is varied when it comes to regional traditions. For instance, we had a good friend in El Salvador who insisted that lasagna was an important part of Thanksgiving (I'm not buyin' it, but I'll eat it). Then there are the endless discussions about whether there's a different name for stuffing that is cooked inside the bird versus outside the bird (I contend that it's all stuffing since you end up stuffing yourself with it anyway). At the end of the day, Thanksgiving is great because the only expectation is to share it with others.

I didn't write about it, but we threw a "culebra" last year to celebrate my first month of working and it just so happened that it fell close to Thanksgiving, so we ended up throwing a Thanksgiving dinner party for my whole office. Sophie and I decided to reprise our roles as ambassadors of Southern Thanksgiving deliciousness this year and host them all again. All-in-all, we had fourteen Israelis, six Americans, and a Thanksgiving feast with everything: turkey, stuffing, cornbread casserole, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, pear & pecan salad, cranberry-apple crisp, two pecan pies, and a pumpkin pie. Yes, Sophie made a schedule for me to follow in order to get everything finished. Cooking the turkey was especially interesting since our oven is quite small - the 18.5 pound turkey was a bit crammed. I think next year I might just send them all recipes and ask them to bring a dish!


After sharing this experience with all of them, we then turned our focus to Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving Day. We sent out invites to a bunch of embassy friends and 28 responded that they would be coming. Yikes! We borrowed tables, plates, silverware, and glasses from neighbors. I think everyone had a great time and everyone was able to share their various family dishes. It was quite the spread.




Apple pie... mmmm....
Finally, some friends invited us to a third Thanksgiving on the Saturday after Thanksgiving, so all-in-all we took part in three Thanksgiving meals. We've been eating pecan pie ever since. How about you? What did you do for Thanksgiving this year?

2 comments:

  1. Yum! Wow, 28 people -- I thought the 10 we hosted was enough work! Although we probably had enough food for double the amount of people given all the leftovers. We definitely took advantage of having multiple ovens at our disposal to help prepare our Thanksgiving meal -- the benefit of FS living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea - way too much food here. Luckily it was a potluck when we had 28. Neighbors-with-ovens are clutch.

      Delete