Friday, February 8, 2013

Life in Israel (Part 2)

So, I had written a fair bit more in the previous post but it seems to have disappeared. This is because I tapped out the post on my phone, and the Blogger app had, for some reason, created two post entries that I thought were the same, so I deleted one of them. Guess I chose wrong. Oops. With that in mind, I thought I would just make a new post and finish my previous thoughts.

I've been working in Israel for over 3 months now. It's been a great experience. I love the people I work with and Klarna TLV is generally just a fun place to work. There are days where I miss the convenience of working from home - the Aeron chair, no socks, 15 second commute - but overall I've enjoyed having more human interaction.

As other trailing spouses have pointed out (more elegantly than I will), there are some definite drawbacks to working in the local economy, especially in Tel Aviv. The first and most obvious is that my vacations don't typically overlap with Sophie's, which means that we can't really use our vacation days efficiently. The other less obvious problem with working in Israel is that the US Embassy & USAID in Tel Aviv work the Monday-Friday schedule, while every other business in the region works a Sunday-Thursday schedule. This means that I have every Friday to myself and Sophie has every Sunday to herself, and we can't do overnight things on Saturday night (or Thursday night). It also means that there are very few shared 3-day weekends. Ze basa.

I'm not sure if I've made this obvious, but I don't really speak Hebrew. I took some language classes when we first got here and at the time I felt pretty confident with basic social interaction, but that knowledge and confidence has faded a fair bit over the last few months. Everyone in my office speaks English very well, so it's felt sufficient to just know English, but there are days where it's hard not knowing Hebrew. With people in my office it's easy, but if I go to a conference or a MeetUp, I have to build up my confidence to blast into someone's space and start speaking English with them. I consider myself fortunate that there is another person in my office who doesn't speak Hebrew, and it's been interesting to me how much I notice when he's on vacation. If we have an office get-together and people are milling around beforehand, I'm very aware that the only person speaking English is the person speaking to me, so it makes me feel like a bit of a nuisance sometimes. This is of course to-be-expected, but I've found it interesting how very different it feels when the only English I hear is the conversation I'm involved in compared to when I can hear another English conversation, however soft or far away it may be. Having that other ongoing English conversation is oddly comforting. Anyway, I'll probably start taking more Hebrew classes in the next few weeks, which might mean that I'll say more than just 'sababa' (cool), 'boker tov' (good morning), and 'man yanim' (what's up?) in the office, but no guarantees.

Not knowing the language also has its perks. Consider this. I was interested in making a pound cake, so I stopped by the grocery store and found all the necessities except for the cream cheese. Well, I did find cream cheese, but it's the Philadelphia brand and a block of it was the equivalent of $5-6. Since Israel has a lot of dairy products, I figured that there was probably an equivalent product that cost more like $1, so I got to work comparing the letters on the Philadelphia box to the letters on other cheese containers. I couldn't find a match, so I decided that I would get the nice, English speaking cashier to help me. She very confidently told me that they had 'skim' cream cheese, and pointed to where it was. Now, I say that I don't know Hebrew, but I can mostly read and I can especially read it when it's just an English word written in the Hebrew alphabet... and I knew that this container said it was cottage cheese. So now I was left with the awkward experience where if I rejected the cottage cheese, I might make the nice cashier feel bad, and it wouldn't make much sense for me to buy the Philadelphia cheese, since I had just complained about the cost. So, I decided to just buy the cottage cheese with the off-chance hope that maybe, just maybe, I was reading it wrong. When I got home, I confirmed that it was in fact cottage cheese, and I tried to figure out how to handle the situation, so I googled for cream cheese substitutes and discovered that some people actually substitute pureed cottage cheese for cream cheese, 1:1. סבבה, I thought, so I opened the cottage cheese container and the top of it was completely smooth. I stupidly thought to myself "wow! I bought pureed cottage cheese!" and dumped it into the mixing bowl, only to discover that the cottage cheese was, in fact, normal, chunky, cottage cheese. Oh well. The pound cake actually turned out just about perfect and tasted a bit lighter than the cream cheese version, and so now I know that I can put cheaper, lighter cottage cheese in my mom's pound cake recipe - something I never would have discovered in my normal, cheap English-labeled Philadelphia cream cheese world of yesteryear.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the shout-out! Holidays are tough, but at least our work weeks in El Salvador (U.S. embassy/local) align. I'm not going to take off President's Day but oh well.

    I feel the same way about English/Spanish in the workplace. Pretty much everyone in my office speaks both, but in social situations they will speak to each other in Spanish and I do my best to follow along ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and you'll get semana santa and agostinos. Most of the holidays here are based off of the Jewish calendar, so it's really hit-or-miss if it's going to fall in the middle of the week or end of the week :(

      Delete