Sunday, October 16, 2011

Escaping and Returning

(I wrote this post a week ago, but didn't post it... sorry)

As you can tell, my blog updates are pretty few and far between these days. Things feel normal, so I don't have the itch to tell anyone about my normal life. That being said, sometimes it's disturbing what feels normal.

Our good friend Beth came to visit for the 2nd time. We celebrated her arrival by watching people chuck flaming balls of fire at each other at the annual Bolas de Fuego in Nejapa. She was not disappointed, although she was the first to get hit in the leg with a flaming ball. The participants occasionally throw a flaming ball into the crowd which results in a game of hot potato with feet. The whole experience reminded me of when I was a teenager and participated in bottle rocket wars with my friends (shooting bottle rockets at each other). It's a shame we didn't bump it up a notch back then. Anyway, one of our friends got hit in the face by a flaming ball. Now, I know what you're thinking... "Oh my god, did she get burned?" But, that's the wrong question to ask. Your question should be "Oh my god, how does her face feel after being blindsided by the equivalent of a baseball?" The answer to that is... not so good. It did put a damper on her mood, but she was fine within a day or two.

Beth and I spent the next day at the beach before spending the rest of the weekend in San Salvador. On Friday, we got pupusa making lessons from our maid. I'm not very good at making them, but Beth and Sophie were pretty phenomenal. Beth was visiting as part of her 'last hurrah' before starting a new job in Chicago, so we decided to celebrate. You know it's going to get real when you start your night with double-shot jaiger bombs. We ended the night by seeing a cover band at Cirqo.

The next few weeks were pretty uneventful - working, biking, hiking, beach, etc. Then Sophie went to DC for a week of training, giving me an opportunity to create a whirlwind of a trip to the US.

First, I spent 2 nights in the Miami area, where I got to see my parents, my aunts and uncles, and my 95 year old grandmother. We got Cuban food on Calle Ocho and zipped over to Naples to have dinner at an old restaurant. We had a great time.

On Sunday, I flew into DC and was greeted by what felt like freezing temperatures and rain. It was probably 55 degrees, but my tropical body shuddered when I stepped off the plane. Yeesh. After that Sunday, the weather improved to a perfect week of fall in Virginia. I got to see a ton of people, got to work in a real office with people, and got to drink some great beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment