Thursday, September 2, 2010

Back to normal life

The last 2 weeks has been back to 'normal' life, since we haven't had any visitors.  Normal life means that I work at home until 3:30 or 5 and then head over the embassy to pick Sophie up and do something.  We've been here for a little over 3 months now, so, I'm starting to really wish my Spanish was better.  I know it has improved, but, since I don't talk to many Spanish speakers every day, it could definitely be better.  My grand plan is to get into a biking group and speak Spanish with them.  So, I decided to try my hand at road biking here.  I woke up at 4:30am to get to the bike shop at 5:00am to start the ride and hopefully finish by 6:30. so I could have time to shower before work at 7.  I went with the same guy as last time, from Bicimania.  He's super nice and doesn't speak any English, so, it's perfect, really.  We got a late start, but still rode for an hour and a half through the south western part of the city.  There weren't many cars on the way out, but, on the way back, it was pretty busy.  Most of the ride was on really nice roads that weren't well traveled, so, we got to ride through some really pretty areas with only a few cars to bother us.  Very, very nice.  I made a map of where we went - man it's hilly here!  I'm looking forward to riding again, but, it takes a lot to get me motivated for that early of a ride!

The weekend after the ride, we went to a beach house owned by one of Sophie's coworkers who has been in the foreign service most of his life.  When I say it's a beach house, though, I really mean that it's like a beach complex.  They had like 4 or 5 villas with rooms for people, a ranchero (covered dining area) on the beach, and a pool with a submerged bar.  Awesome.  We had great weather.  A highlight for the trip was their dog, Oso, who wanted to play fetch with the frisbee from 7:30 in the morning to 10 at night.  Crazy dog.

Anyway, another week of work with poker night in the middle.  No winnings, but, I'm still up overall since  I've been here.  I'll continue to point out that I'm up until I actually lose money, at which point I just won't talk about poker.  That's the way it is.  Sophie was working in Honduras for work, so, I was home alone hanging out with friends or playing way too much Starcraft 2.  I'm not much of a gamer, but, Starcraft is an exception for me.

Finally, last weekend we had another 2 visitors, albeit for a short time period.  Dave and Michelle were on their way back from an awesome trip to Peru and had a 6 hour layover in San Salvador, so, we went and picked them up and brought them back to San Salvador for food and to catch up.  Good times.  If anyone else is flying through the area, let us know and we can do the same - visit the beach, visit San Salvador, or just get some pupusas.

No comments:

Post a Comment